December 24, 2013

Favorite Holiday Movies

This is going to be more of a reference than a public post - we all have our favorites near and dear around the holidays. This is what I've watched since I was a wee-thing around Christmas in no particular order. A lot of these can be found on Viooz.co, Netflix, Youtube, or even Redbox brings back the classic ones around this time of year.
  1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) - the original cartoon is just a classic now and a must-watch, the one with Jim Carrey couldn't be more perfect. So fun and colorful!
  2. Christmas Story (1983) - a wonderful classic that really explains how children are feeling during the holidays, I think. Also, very funny!
  3. Elf (2003) - I don't mind Will Ferrell in this movie. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be a yearly must-watch for the family and me. Cute movie for everyone. 
  4. Home Alone (1990) - perfect pair of movies for the holidays, the first and second. This one is so much fun to watch. 
  5. Home Alone 2 Lost in New York (1992) - because these came out around the year I was born, I think I've been watching these since before I could even remember and that's why I love them so. Perfectly executed movies that just get better with age. 
  6. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) - we watch this traditionally while decorating the tree after Thanksgiving and as a kid, you don't catch everything said but re-watching as an adult and every single year, it just gets funnier. 
  7. The Santa Claus (1994) - these are very much a feast for the eyes and explains what we all thought of Santa in the 90's if I'm honest. 
  8. The Santa Claus 2 (2002) - loved this one so much! So colorful and fun - the third one bums me out, I love the first pair of these movies, though. Kids would love these and adults can appreciate these. 
  9. Jingle All the Way (1996) - this movie is very cute and fun but my parents have watched this movie and sympathized. Dad is looking for this amazing toy all over that is sold out and it becomes a huge ordeal but ends wonderfully. Parents would have fun watching this with kids, I'm sure. 
  10. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - this movie holds a special place in my heart for the Halloween aspect, I've been watching this since I was 3. It's a must-watch and must-appreciate because stop-motion is so incredible. Do watch this with your kids for the holidays, it's so different from the cartoons they have now.
  11. Look Who's Talking Now (1993) - oh, I hate that this list isn't an even 10 but I have to throw this in. I love this movie, it's so sweet. A must-watch for kids and parents alike, parents will appreciate it more, however. Very cute and fun and centered around family.

These are Christmas-themed episodes I enjoy from television shows - most of these can be found on Youtube or Hulu around this time of year. 
  1. Roseanne (1990s) - S5, EP12 - "No Place Like Home for the Holidays" - true, Roseanne is known for her Halloween episodes (I need to create a Halloween list like this, too) but her Christmas episodes brought out a raw, true feeling to it considering this family is the television equivalent to my own. It's nostalgic and truthful. S6, EP12 - "White Trash Christmas" - another raw episode considering the holidays. They go nuts with the crazy lights, again, my family! Also, there's an episode where Roseanne and Jackie are playing Mr. and Mrs. Claus at the mall, not sure which season or episode - it's further down in the seasons. Very funny and authentic. 
  2. Rugrats (1992) - S2, EP14 - "The Santa Experience" - this was my childhood. This particular episode can be found on Youtube but you have to invert your colors temporarily to watch it there. I do have the boxed sets (yes, I still watch them at 22) but this is more convenient honestly. Very fun for me as a kid at heart but as an adult, I can still appreciate the humor. 
  3. Full House (1980s, 1990s) - S2, EP9 - "Our Very First Christmas," and S6, EP12 - "A Very Tanner Christmas" - there are probably others, these are feel-good sitcom Christmas episodes and are going to be appealing to those that remembered the show. These are sickly-sweet but fun to re-watch if you can catch them on television. I can't find these online anywhere.
If I left anything out, sorry! These are my favorites. A lot of really authentic classics like Miracle of 34th Street, the Rudolf and Frosty cartoons, etc. haven't played a huge part in my childhood Christmases, therefore, they're not included in my holidays as an adult. I do hope you find something here you can relate to!

Likely until next year, ya'll...
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me something to think about. =]